This book traces the establishment and growth of German Roman Catholic parishes in Maryland and Pennsylvania from the mid-1700's to the early 1900's. The first German parishes were found in Pennsylvania.
The book begins with the German immigration ito Pennsylvania and Maryland. Added focus is given to Baltimore's German community which grew exponentially with the advent of the North German Lloyd in 1868. Germans, including German Catholics, made significant contributions and influenced life in Baltimore and surrounding areas.
Added focus is giving to the Redemptorist Fathers who came to Baltimore in 1840 to minister to German speaking Catholics throughout the Archdiocese. They founded many parishes including: St. Alphonsus, St. James, St. Michael's, 14 Holy Martyrs, Holy Cross, St. Joseph's, and Sacred Heart of Jesus, among many others.
Created with FreewayPro © June 2015, Rev. Aug. 2015 John H.Foertschbeck, Sr.